The Qt Quick module is the standard library for writing QML applications. While the Qt QML module provides the QML engine and language infrastructure, the Qt Quick module provides all the basic types necessary for creating user interfaces with QML. It provides a visual canvas and includes types for creating and animating visual components, receiving user input, creating data models and views and delayed object instantiation.
Note: A set of Qt Quick-based UI controls is also available to create user interfaces. See Qt Quick Controls 2 for more information.
For those new to QML and Qt Quick, please see QML Applications for an introduction to writing QML applications.
Important Concepts in Qt Quick
Qt Quick provides everything needed to create a rich application with a fluid and dynamic user interface. It enables user interfaces to be built around the behavior of user interface components and how they connect with one another, and it provides a visual canvas with its own coordinate system and rendering engine. Animation and transition effects are a first class concept in Qt Quick, and visual effects can be supplemented through specialized components for particle and shader effects.
- The Visual Canvas
- User Input
- States, Transitions And Animations
- Data - Models, Views and Data Storage
- Particles And Graphical Effects
- Convenience Types
When using the
QtQuick module, you will need to know how to write QML applications using the QML language. In particular, QML Basics and QML Essentials from the QML Applications page.
To find out more about using the QML language, see the Qt QML module documentation.
C++ Extension Points
- C++ Extension Points
Licenses and Attributions
Qt Quick is available under commercial licenses from The Qt Company. In addition, it is available under free software licenses. Since Qt 5.4, these free software licenses are GNU Lesser General Public License, version 3, or the GNU General Public License, version 2. See Qt Licensing for further details.
Additional Qt Quick information:
- Qt Quick C++ Classes - the C++ API provided by the Qt Quick module
- Qt Quick QML Types - a list of QML types provided by the
- XML List Model - contains types for creating models from XML data
- Particles - provides a particle system for Qt Quick
- Layouts - provides layouts for arranging Qt Quick items
- Window - contains types for creating top-level windows and accessing screen information
- Dialogs - contains types for creating and interacting with system dialogs
- Tests - contains types for writing unit test for a QML application
- Qt Quick Examples and Tutorials
- Qt Quick Guidelines
Further information for writing QML applications: